COOKIE RECIPE STUDY NO. 2: Lemon Glazed Cookies. This recipe marks the origin of wit + aroma, and really became the inspiration for it all. It happened very naturally, since we both share a passion for food (and eating), an appreciation for ingredients, the exploration of flavor, and the art of experimentation. Wit had her tried and true favorite recipes, and I had mine. We merged our ideas together and this blog was born.
Though wit + aroma is still in its infancy, we feel that it has a long lasting future, due to the fact we do it for its pure enjoyment. For me, spending time in the kitchen is an escape and it relaxes me. I actually love cooking when I'm on vacation. After a long day, especially a stressful one, there's nothing better than pulling out my baking trays, butter, flour, and hearing the satisfying crack of a perfectly broken egg. I thrive on the challenge of purging the fridge and coming up with something delicious for dinner (why I love watching Iron Chef and Chopped, on Food Network).
And what better way to end the day than with cookies that are the perfect size, have the perfect taste and texture, and take less than an hour to complete? This cookie recipe is here to stay. And wit+aroma will continue to push the envelope with herbs, extracts, teas and zests to bring to you the most indispensable cookie ever.
We hope you love it as much as we do!
YIELD: 40-46 COOKIES
TOTAL PREP & BAKE TIME: APPROXIMATELY 30 MINUTES
Must Have Tools
- small cookie scoop
- zester or microplane
- lemon squeezer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat until combined. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture.
- Drop dough by 1-inch scoops, onto two baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool 2 minutes on sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Spread cookies with Lemon Glaze and let set, about 1 hour.
- To make the glaze, whisk together confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth.