We came out of the closet. Aroma spilled her news about the new addition to her family. Her wee one is due in July. And we finally decided to stop hiding behind ambiguity. This little blog wasn't intended to bring us recognition. We don't care to make it our livelihood. We just like baking. We long for local fare flavors. We are intrigued by contrary combinations. Wit & Aroma was our space to play and retreat from our stressful lives. A safe place away from work, tasks, and all the things that steal our energy. When it was anonymous; we were free from judgement, free from anxiety because it was a place detached from our personal lives.
But now Wit & Aroma has grown, people want to know us. So here we are two career women sharing recipes and hopefully pretty pictures too. We'll change our bio in due time. But for now here is a recipe for those summer strawberries and fuzzy peaches you've been collecting.
STRAWBERRY + PEACH GALETTE WITH HONEY WHIPPED CREAM
This recipe makes 3 mini galettes approximately 6-7 inches across or one large galette. Total prep time is 20 minutes and bake time is 20 - 30 minutes.
- 1 and 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 150 grams of cold unsalted butter
- 2-4 tablespoons of ice cold water
- 1/4 cup of chopped and toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup of chopped and toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of powered sugar
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 fresh peaches, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons of honey
- Chop the butter into pea-sized sections.
- Using standing mixer - combine the floor, sugar, and salt together with paddle attachment. Slowly add diced butter until the texture is crumbly.
- Then add a tablespoon of ice cold water, mix quickly. Then add another tablespoon until the texture is more dough-like. Between 2 to 4 tablespoons should be plenty. Every time I bake a galette, 2 tablespoons seems to be sufficient.
- Create a disk with the dough, bundle in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix the powdered sugar, cornstarch, walnuts and almonds in a small bowl then set aside.
- Toss the peaches, strawberries and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl then set aside.
- Place baking parchment in a baking sheet and dust with flour. Roll out the chilled dough and cut out a circle (13 inches across for one large galette or 7 inches across for a small galette). Transfer cut out dough onto baking sheet.
- Evenly spread the nut mixture in center of dough leaving 3 inch margin for large galette or 1.5 - 2 inch margin for small galette. Arrange the fruit on top of the nut mixture. Then fold in the edges.
- Beat egg in small bowl, then brush the top of the dough.
- Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, until crust is golden and crisp.
- Use wire whisk attachment to whip the cream on medium-high speed. After the cream begins to thicken, add honey and whip again. Serve with galette.