COOKIE RECIPE STUDY NO. 4: I've been especially fond of blueberries this season, and I give credit to my toddler, whose chin, cheeks and hands are stained a bluish purple from stuffing the little blue morsels in her mouth. It's become our daily ritual at breakfast: she will ask incessantly, "Boo-byes? Boo-byes?", until she has a bowl full in front of her. It's completely adorable, in my opinion, and I love sharing and enjoying this experience with her.
Merging blueberries with our famous lemon cookie recipe was as satisfying to me as merging peanut butter with jelly. The flavors were perfect complements to each other, and I found them to be altogether comforting to eat. The color of the blueberry glaze was also just delightful. The result made me very happy, and I'm thrilled it was a success. I hope you'll agree!
YIELD: 40-46 COOKIES
TOTAL PREP & BAKE TIME: APPROXIMATELY 30 MINUTES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed blueberries
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely crushed blueberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions for Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add blueberries, egg, vanilla, and lemon juice and beat until combined. With mixer on low, fold in flour mixture.
- Drop dough by 1-inch scoops, onto two baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cool 2 minutes on sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Spread cookies with Blueberry Glaze and let set, about 1 hour.
Directions for Glaze
- To make the glaze, whisk together confectioners' sugar, crushed blueberries and lemon juice until smooth.