Are you heading anywhere this summer? The beach or cabin, or perhaps a backpacking tour of Europe? It has been quite some time since I've had the opportunity to travel to a different continent, partly because of work and also due to the fact we've been growing our family the past couple of years. With another bambino on the way in 3 or 4 weeks, I still don't anticipate any major trips anytime soon. But summer still makes me dream about travel and past trips I've taken, which is the reason we thought the next recipe study of Madeleines would be appropriate. They are the quintessential French cookie (or is it a cake?). Nevertheless, it is a classic. There's a bit of prep work and specific instructions, but the beauty and flavor of these buttery cakes with their light crispy texture on the outside and soft spongy inside are a worthy reward.
If using a nonstick pan, which heats up faster than a traditional one, go by the shorter baking time in Step 4.
- Prep: 20 min
- Total Time: 2 hrs 40 min
- Yield: Makes 32 (or 160 mini)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus more, softened, for pans
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Sift flour mixture over top in 2 additions, folding in after each addition. Fold in melted butter in 2 additions, then honey and vanilla. Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Let batter stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. Generously butter 2 standard-size or 2 mini nonstick or aluminum madeleine pans using a pastry brush.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag, and snip tip to create a 1/2-inch opening. Pipe some batter into molds, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake on middle rack until pale gold, 8 to 11 minutes (6 to 8 minutes for mini madeleines). Immediately shake madeleines out. Wash and rebutter molds. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust baked madeleines with confectioners' sugar.